Dear Mr Hill,
亲爱的希尔先生:
Seeing that ... I have seen your fantastically entertaining and award-winning film The Sting, starring Paul Newman and Robert Redford, and enjoyed it very much, it is altogether fitting and proper that you should ‘discover‘ me.
鉴于...我已经观看了您执导的具有无与伦比的戏剧性又获奖无数的影片《骗中骗》,这部由保罗·纽曼和罗伯特·雷德福主演,我非常喜爱这部影片。所以这一切预示着现在正是您应该发掘我的好时机。
Now, right away I know what you are thinking: ‘Who is this kid‘?
我知道您现在在想什么,这孩子到底是谁啊?
and I can understand your apprehensions.
而且我能理解您对启用新人的不安,
I am a nobody.
我是一个无名小卒,
No one outside of Skyline High School has heard of me ...
除了我高中同学之外没有人听说过我。
My looks are not stunning.
我的外表并不俊朗迷人,
I am not built like a Greek God, and I can‘t even grow a mustache,
我的身材也不像希腊神祇那样完美,我甚至连胡子都没长出来。
but I figure if people will pay to see certain films ... they will pay to see me.
但是我认为如果人们会花钱去看某些电影的话,他们也会花钱来看我演的电影。
Let‘s work out the details of my discovery.
让我们来敲定一下我出道之路的一些细节吧。
We can do it the way Lana Turner was discovered, me sitting on a soda shop stool, you walk in and notice me and – BANGO – I am a star.
我们可以用拉娜·特纳被发掘的方法,我坐在一个快餐店的高脚登上,你走进店里并注意到了我,然后——嘭——我就成大明星啦!
Or maybe we can do it this way.
或者,我们可以换个方式。
I stumble into your office one day and beg for a job.
有一天我跌跌撞撞闯进您的办公室,并祈求您给我一份工作。
To get rid of me, you give me a stand-in part in your next film.
为了摆脱我,您在您的下一部电影里给了我一个龙套的角色。
While shooting the film, the star breaks his leg in the dressing room, and, because you are behind schedule already, you arbitrarily place me in his part and – BANGO – I am a star.
在拍摄的时候,主演在更衣室摔断了腿。因为您已经落下了进度,您只得任意的指派我做了主演,然后——嘭——我成了大明星啦!
All of these plans are fine with me, or we could do it any way you would like, it makes no difference to me!
所有这些计划我都觉得很好,或者我们可以用任何您喜欢的方式来做这件事,这对我来说没有任何区别。
But let‘s get one thing straight. Mr. Hill, I do not want to be some bigtime, Hollywood superstar with girls crawling all over me, just a hometown American boy who has hit the big-time, owns a Porsche, and calls Robert Redford ‘Bob‘.
但是我们首先要说清楚一件事,希尔先生,我不想当什么被女孩子们簇拥着的好莱坞超级明星,我只想做一个有建树的美国本土男孩儿,开着保时捷,还可以管罗伯特·雷德福叫"鲍勃"。
Respectfully submitted,
此致敬礼,
Your Pal Forever,
您永远的朋友,
Thomas J Hanks
汤姆·汉克斯