When we laugh with people, we’re hardly ever actually laughing at jokes. You are laughing to show people that you understand them, that you agree with them, that you’re part of the same groups as them.You’re laughing to show that you like them.You might even love them.
当我们一起大笑时候,我们实际上很少是为了某个笑话而笑的。你笑了,可能是为了表达你理解了对方,你同意他们的观点,你跟他们站在同一边。你笑了,可能是为了表达你喜欢他们,甚至可能是爱着他们。---来自TED
laugh (指因喜悦、愉快或轻视而出声的笑或大笑)
作名词,笑;引人发笑的人或事
作动词,笑,以笑表示,使...笑得
belly laugh 捧腹大笑
laugh it off 一笑而过
laugh oneself to death 差点没笑死
When Scrooge's nephew laughed, everybody who was with him wanted to laugh too. He had that kind of laugh.
斯克罗吉的外甥笑着,和他在一起的人也想笑,他的笑就具备这样的感染力。---《圣诞颂歌》
日常生活中,我们可能会遇到以下几组意思相近的表达。
laugh at 嘲笑;因...而笑
mock and satire 冷嘲热讽
make fun of 取笑;拿...开玩笑
Do I make fun of the people you date?
我会取笑你们的约会对象吗?
poke fun at 取笑
Now you are poking fun at my taste in fashion!
现在你在取笑我的时尚品味!
make joke about 取笑
joke 玩笑,笑话;开玩笑
play joke on 开...的玩笑 a standing joke 笑柄
practical joke 恶作剧
下面给大家介绍一下一则小笑话吧。
Failure in a Test
A:Why did you get such a low mark on that test?
这次测试你为什么得这么低的分?
B:Because of absence.
因为缺考。
A:You mean you were absent on the day of the test?
你的意思是说考试那天你没去?
B:No, but the kid who sits next to me was.
不是,是坐在我旁边的孩子没来。
不知道大家看到这则笑话,有没有哈哈大笑或者捧腹大笑呢?当然像英语君笑点那么低的人,也没有捧腹大笑。不过,在学习英语中,多看看些英语笑话,这样,自己的学习过程不至于枯燥乏味。