L: Michael, 感恩节你过得好吗?
M: It was good to be with my family, but I was disappointed that you couldn't be there.
L: 我知道,跟家人在一起总是高兴的事。谢谢你邀请我,但是我早就答应了另一个朋友,所以没法去你家,明年我一定去你家。
M: Ok, well. It was a great meal, we all pigged out.
L: 你们感恩节吃猪肉呀?我还以为感恩节都是吃火鸡呢。
M: Yeah, most people do have turkey. Pig out means to eat a large amount of food, not that we actually ate pig.
L: 噢,pig out就是吃好多东西, 不是指吃猪肉呀?
M: Yes, pigs eat a lot and that's where the expression pig out comes from. I did eat like a pig on Thanksgiving.
L: 我猜也是, pig out肯定是因为猪吃好多东西而形成的常用语。 Michael,我看你呀,不仅是感恩节,你平时就吃好多。上星期, 你每天晚上都吃得象头猪一样。
M: Um, I certainly did.
L: Pig out这个说法只能指吃东西啊?能不能用在别的地方?
M: No, not really. But don't forget that when you use it in the past tense, pig out should be pigged out.
L: 那是过去时态,要是说你到了圣诞节假日又要大吃大喝了,那该怎么说?
M: You will pig out during the Christmas holidays.
L: 嗨,我是在说你,我才不会吃那么多东西呢!
Michael, 是不是每年都有这么多人来中央公园滑冰?
M: Yes, it's free. My friend Josh said he would be coming to ice-skate with his girlfriend Emily today. Oh, By the way, Li Hua, did you tell Simon that Josh and Emily are getting married soon? I just need...
L: 是,那天我不小心告诉了Simon。我知道Josh和Emily现在还不想 公开他们准备结婚的计划,不过我真不是故意的。
M: Geez, Li Hua, you have such a bigmouth!
L: 你生气了?肯定是骂我。说我是bigmouth,大嘴巴!你是说我吃很多东西吗?
M: No, I'm saying you talk a lot about other people's business!
L: 噢, 你不是说我嘴巴大,而是说我多嘴,爱嚼舌头,谈论别人。
M: That makes you a bigmouth.
L: 我们女孩子都喜欢谈论别人。不过,Michael,我从来没在书上看 到过这个词,是不是一般在口语里用?
M: Yes, it is usually used in informal speech.
L: Michael,我真不应该那么多嘴,把 Josh和Emily准备结婚的事告诉别人。
M: Well, don't worry about it. I tend to pig out and you're a bigmouth. Everyone has their faults.
L: 哟,你倒是想得开,人人有缺点,你爱象猪那样吃,我爱谈论别人。这样就好象什么事也没了!
M: Just don't be a person who eats like a pig and also is a bigmouth.
L: 对,这两个缺点都有那就糟了。 走吧,该会学校去念书了。
今天Michael和李华在纽约中央公园,一面看许多人滑冰,一面聊天。李华从Michael 那儿学到了两个常用语,一个是pig out,就是吃很多东西的意思;另一个是bigmouth,就是多嘴的人。今天的《流行美语》就学习到这里,我们下次节目再会。